Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I build a windmill driven water pump?

I have been given a project to build a windmill driven water pump. So far, a lot of the books I've researched only give me info on how a water pump works. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advanceHow do I build a windmill driven water pump?Basically, at least one idea, was to have the wind turn a horizontal shaft that was also a crank shaft. The crank would cause an up and down motion and was used to drive a long metal rod that went down into the well. On the end of the rod was a one-way valve. It would open on the down stroke and close on the up stroke thereby lifting out the water. I think I read there were over 50,000 of these in the western USA at one time.



I live in Arizona and they are still standing all over but few are still working. They went out of vogue when George Westinghouse started selling electricity which had the advantage of being able to pump when the wind stalled.



Google %26quot;western windmills pumps%26quot; or something similar and you can get tons of sites and images.



Annie Proulx wrote a wonderful novel, %26quot;The Old Ace in the Hole%26quot;, in which she has several scenes involving these old wonderful machines. The design was selected after testing several thousand designs and the inventor had a wind tunnel. All in the 19th century.



Amazon has some great books on windmills as I am sure Barnes/Noble does also. I have bought some of these and already have my grandson %26quot;hooked%26quot; on wind power.



India is putting in a couple hundred windmills for pumping water every year. They have over a thousand working right now.



Good Luck



PS here's a page of images



http://images.google.com/images?sourceid



Here's another great site about the inventor and some history



http://www.ironmanwindmill.com/windmill%

No comments:

Post a Comment