Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How does the radiator fan work if I replace my water pump with an electric water pump?

I have a 93 Mustang GT Convertible. The water pump went out and needs replaced. I want to replace it with an electric water pump. The problem is that the radiator fan is driven by the water pump pulley and the new electric water pump has no such pulley for a fan.How does the radiator fan work if I replace my water pump with an electric water pump?If you go to the electric pump you'll also have to go with an electric fan. However, in every car I've done this to in the past, you'll also need a high amp alternator to handle the extra load this will put on the electrical system.



BTW. Several people have asked why would you do this. You do this to free up a few horsepower by not having the extra load of the pump and fan on the engine. A higher amp alternator doesn't use any more horses to turn. The other alternative that does not work on the street though would be to do what some drag car owners do. They remove water pump, alternator, fan, and power steering. Very few horses can make a big difference in a close quarter mile pull.How does the radiator fan work if I replace my water pump with an electric water pump?%26gt;%26gt;%26gt; electric water pump?



I didn't know they made electric water pump. Are you sure?



Remember that all electrical devices have to be driven by the alternator. Putting something that draws that much current will wear out the alternator faster.

===

You can always replace your fan with electric fan. That I KNOW they make.





Good Luck...How does the radiator fan work if I replace my water pump with an electric water pump?You'll have to install an elec cooling fan on rad also. Then you would install a temperature switch to turn it on when needed.How does the radiator fan work if I replace my water pump with an electric water pump?first off why replace a vital engine part with an aftermarket gamble anyway and second it wontHow does the radiator fan work if I replace my water pump with an electric water pump?i never heard of electric water pump, all i ever saw was a pump that ran by a belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment