Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do I know its the water pump going out on my 01 porsche boxster?

The engine temp starting to go up and when I got home there had been some significant water leak out of the car it smelled like coolant, so I filled the coolant and started the car there is a noise like the pump might be going out and it is leaking while I ran it in my my driveway for a few minutes.How do I know its the water pump going out on my 01 porsche boxster?First have the system pressure checked. That will tell you where it is leaking. However, if you can see the pump leaking, it is time for a new one. Water pumps have an internal seal that will leak when the pump is extremely worn. While not an easy or cheap job, that pump is the heart of your engine's cooling system.How do I know its the water pump going out on my 01 porsche boxster?Agree with above. The pump will have a weep hole in it that will allow coolant to escape the casting void on the front or dry side of the internal seal. If you see coolant leaking from the weep hole under the shaft, then is for sure the pump seal and you need to have it changed out. Pumps are about $254 to $300 and labor is about 2.6 hrs.



It is better to pressure check the engine without it running. It is less of a risk and easier to see what is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment